Friday, November 28, 2008

Buried Treasure

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000168 EndHTML:0000004897 StartFragment:0000000577 EndFragment:0000004880

I came across a treasure once

in my journeying

I was not digging

piracy was not my pleasure


From the distance I could see its beauty

It was there laying in the sand

glimmering

mysterious

foreboding


Drawing nearer to the treasure

My heart pounding, I knew

this was a a rare find

priceless

the stuff of legend

thought not to exist


As I reached out my hand to take it

something about its splendor warned me

that it was not to be possessed

I decided it prudent to leave it where it lied

for another passerby


I started to walk away but couldn't

While dangerously beautiful

this treasure was also vulnerably precious

In need of protection


So, this is what I did

The only thing there was to do in my mind at the time


I picked it up

Carefully

Deliberately

with a heart of sacred care

not of greed


I wrapped it in plain brown paper

for safe keeping.


-Wendolyn R. Cooper